Stroll back down the hill and across the street to the Chester Springs Studio. The original barn dates to the eighteenth century and was used as a livery stable through the turn of this century.
In 1921, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts converted it to a studio for use by students at its Country School. Known as the Small Barn Studio, it is still easily recognizable by its distinctive skylight.
The original founders of Historic Yellow Springs hoped to foster cultural and artistic activities in the village. To that end, Chester Springs Studio, a new non-profit visual arts organization, was formed and Historic Yellow Springs sold them the Small Barn Studio and two acres in 1976.
As of 2007, Historic Yellow Springs and the Chester Springs Studio have merged again into one organization. Today the Studio continues to offers art classes, artists’ residencies, and exhibitions in the barn as well as in the old Post Office across the road.
“The chief object of the Academy in establishing a school in the country is to afford fine-art instruction in the open air, with all the beautiful surroundings of nature herself, in order to supplement instruction within the walls of classrooms, and to afford an opportunity, for the study of art in the summer, to school teachers and to others who cannot spare time to study in the winter.”
The School Circular, 1917